Presbycusic people and hearing aids
A little more than a third of the world's population - 360 million people - is affected by hearing problems linked to the natural ageing of the ear, called presbycusis. Fatigue, difficulty to understand a conversation in a restaurant or on television, confusion between words, habit of having others repeat themselves : presbycusis concerns 90% of current hearing problems and represents 95% of the indications for hearing aids from ENT doctors. Poorly perceived, because it is a sign of ageing of the ear, presbycusis is no longer the exclusive preserve of senior citizens : in our noisy world, it manifests itself earlier and 25% of people under 30 have a hearing loss of more than 20dB.
Cost, aesthetics (80% of worldwide sales of hearing aid are Behind-The-Ear devices), complexity of the care process, complexity of the hearing device : in France, 3 out of 4 presbycusic people reject hearing aids ; in the United States, less than 20% of Americans seek hearing aids. Similar figures are found throughout the world. By refusing hearing aids, these people expose themselves to the well-known risks of cognitive delays, withdrawal and isolation. To provide them with an effective, immediate and discreet solution, SERINITI has developed the digital, instant-fit, Completely-In-The-Canal (CIC) Orison hearing aid.
* ORISON, the hearing aid for those who don't want hearing aid !
Presbycusis : a specific audiogram allowing a presetting hearing aid
Presbycusis is a hearing loss related to the natural aging of the auditory system. Presbycusis is :
- Progressive and occurs over time. Presbycusis becomes annoying as soon as the decrease in hearing acuity reaches 30dB on the high frequencies (2000Hz - 8000Hz). From this stage, ENT doctors prescribe the use of a hearing aid ;
- , meaning it affects both ears ;
- , meaning the hearing loss is approximately the same on both ears.
Relatively common, presbycusis mainly affects the high frequencies, which gather voices of women, children, whistling and fricative consonants. Thus, it is not uncommon for men to be the first to be bothered by this hearing impairment. The characteristic audiogram of presbycusis shows :
- A decrease in hearing on the high frequencies,
- While the low frequencies are more or less well preserved.
The audiogram of a presbycusis is summarized as follows :
Thus, a hearing aid finely preconfigured on the frequencies damaged by the aging of the auditory system and equipped with a wheel allowing to intensify the need for amplification according to the feeling of the user is completely possible with the current technological advances : it is what allows the digital instant-fit CIC Orison hearing aid and what it was conceived for.
Orison, the hearing aid specially designed to compensate for presbycusis
People with presbycusis have enjoyed the integrity of their hearing function for a time before they experience discomfort. For them, as long as the hearing aid is not worn, the hearing loss remains invisible : the reasons for their massive rejection of visible BTE hearing aids are as much psychological denial as aesthetic, cost and common sense.
At SERINITI, we believe that the safest route to a hearing aid for people who experience simple discomfort is to offer them a device that meets their requirements for performance, discretion and cost. That's why we worked with a team of ENT doctors and engineers to develop the Orison hearing aid. For two years, we compiled nearly 150,000 audiometric curves and synthesized 7 different amplification programs, which were then tested by over 2,000 people. In 2015, following these conclusive tests, we kept only one amplification program and refined it further, in order to be sure that Orison would provide real listening comfort while remaining easy to use.
To date, our challenge has been met :
- Orison has a fine pre-configuration, massively tested, which amplifies the frequencies damaged by presbycusis ;
- Equipped with smart signal processing system, the Orison hearing aid boosts the voices of your family and friends up to 33dB, depending on your needs, for a better understanding of speech ;
- Because noise is the main source of discomfort for those affected, Orison automatically reduces ambient noise by 13dB, the highest possible limit without creating sound distortion ;
- Orison is available over the counter ;
- Ready to hear and easy to use, Orison allows the user to be perfectly autonomous and is sold without additional follow-up services ;
- Without any concession on quality, Orison benefits from the CE standard and the 2-year legal guarantee. Satisfied or refunded within 20 days.