Presbycusis and hearing aids
A little more than a third of the world's population - 360 million people - is affected by hearing problems linked to the natural aging of the ear, called presbycusis. Fatigue, difficulty to understand a conversation in a restaurant or at television, confusion between words, habit of having others repeat themselves : presbycusis concerns 90% of current hearing problems and represents 95% of the indications for hearing aids from ENT doctors. Badlly perceived, because it testifies the ageing of the ear, presbycusis is no longer the prerogative of the elderly : in our noisy world, it manifests itself earlier and 25% of people under 30 have a hearing loss greater than 20dB.
Cost of hearing aids, aesthetics (80% of worldwide sales of hearing aids are BTE), complexity of the care path, complexity of the hearing device : in France, 3 out of 4 people concerned reject hearing aids ; in the United States, less than 20% of Americans seek hearing aids. Similar figures can be found throughout the world. By refusing hearing aids, these people expose themselves to the well-known risks of cognitive delays and withdrawal (see our article on the subject : The auditory brain: close correlation between hearing and cognition). In order to provide them an effective, immediate and discreet solution, SERINITI has developed the ORISON (invisible, digital, instant-fit CIC) and AZUR (rechargeable, digital, mini BTE) hearing solutions.
Presbycusis : a specific audiogram that allows preset hearing solutions
Presbycusis (read our article on this subject What is presbycusis ?) is a hearing loss related to the natural ageing of the auditory system. Presbycusis is :
- Progressive and manifests itself over time. Presbycusis becomes annoying as soon as the decrease in hearing acuity reaches 30dB on the high frequencies. From this stage, ENT doctors prescribe the use of a hearing aid ;
- Bilateral, meaning it affects both ears ;
- Symmetrical, meaning the hearing loss is approximately the same on both ears.
Relatively common, presbycusis affects mainly the high frequencies, which are the frequencies that carry the voices of women, children, whistling and fricative consonants. Thus, it is not uncommon for men to be the first to be bothered by this hearing impairment. The characteristic audiogram of presbycusis shows :
- A decreasing curve on the high frequencies,
- While the low frequencies are more or less well preserved.
The typical audiogram of a presbycusis is summarized as follows :
Thus, a hearing aid finely preset on the frequencies damaged by the ageing of the auditory system and equipped with a system allowing to intensify the need for amplification according to the user's feeling is possible with the current technological advances : this is what our hearing solutions ORISON and AZUR allow and what they were designed for.
ORISON, AZUR : hearing aids to compensate for presbycusis
Unlike people with a hearing disability, people with presbycusis have enjoyed the integrity of their hearing function for a time before experiencing discomfort. For them, as long as the hearing aid is not worn, the hearing loss remains invisible : the reasons for their massive rejection of hearing aids are as much psychological denial as aesthetic, cost and common sense.
At SERINITI, we believe that the safest path to a hearing aid for people who experience simple discomfort is to offer them a hearing aid that meets their requirements for performance, discretion and cost. That's why we worked with a team of ENT doctors and engineers to develop our AZUR and ORISON hearing solutions. Over a two-year period, we compiled nearly 150,000 audiometric curves and synthesized 7 different amplification programs, which were then tested by over 2,000 people. In 2015, following these conclusive tests, we kept only one amplification program and refined it further, in order to be certain that our products offer true listening comfort while remaining simple to use.
To date, our challenge has been met :
- AZUR and ORISON have a fine pre-configuration, massively tested, which amplifies the frequencies damaged by presbycusis ;
- Equipped with a smart processing sound system, AZUR and ORISON hearing aids boost the voices of your loved ones and your entourage up to 36dB depending on the needs, for a clear understanding of words and conversations ;
- Because noise is the main source of discomfort for those concerned, our hearing solutions automatically reduce it by 13dB, the highest possible limit without creating sound distortion ;
- To simplify the care process, ORISON and AZUR are available over the counter (without a prescription) ;
- Ready-to-hear and easy to use, ORISON and AZUR hearing aids allow the user to be perfectly autonomous and are, as a logical consequence, sold without any additional costly follow-up service (although our team remains at your disposal to answer all your questions) ;
- Without any concession on quality, ORISON and AZUR benefit from the CE standard and the 2-year legal warranty. Satisfied or refunded for 20 days.